Galileo Troubles

Eclipse GalileoAnother year has passed in the Eclipse universe, and this means another minor release number and another Jupiter moon. Eclipse has moved from 3.4 to 3.5 or respectively from Ganymede to Galileo. Using a small gap in my busy development schedule, I decided to install the latest version this morning. Thanks to broadband Internet, the 180 MB JEE package was downloaded in a breeze and installed in a few minutes. Unfortunately, that’s where things stopped being easy.

When I downloaded the PDT plugin for PHP development, I found a bug in it that prevented Eclipse from creating a PHP project from existing sources. After some research on the Internet, I found that this was a well-documented bug which had been fixed in the meantime. I tried installing the latest PDT release via the Eclipse install & update feature, but the process came to a crashing halt with a message that demanded some mylyn jars that could not be found. Although I had no idea why PDT required that particular jar, I dutifully installed the mylyn plugins with the required version number.

Unfortunately, this did not impress Galileo, as it now demanded other jars when installing the PDT update. – Perhaps a case of workspace pollution, I thought. – Clearly, it was time for a fresh start. I scrapped the installation and started anew with a blank workspace and a new install location. This time, everything seemed to install fine. I was able to create Java and PHP projects. However, Galileo suddenly wouldn’t open *.xml, *.xsl, or *.html files any more. It complained that there was no editor for this content type, which appeared fishy since both web tools (WTP) and PDT were installed. I tried to solve the problem by playing around with the configuration, but to no avail.

After several fresh attempts and considerable time spent with looking up error messages on the Internet, I decided to stay with Ganymede. Since I had wasted my entire morning and since I had some real work to do as well, this seemed to be the best course of action. Maybe I will give Galileo another go when an updated distro package becomes available. With Ganymede I never ran into this sort of trouble, despite having PDT, WTP, the Scala plugin and Jboss tools installed. I am still clueless as to what went wrong and I wonder if anybody else had a similar experience.